2007-11-12

Bits of the past still lingering in the present

So I sat in the subway tonight, right. Heading home after a long day of work. As i entered and sat down on some random seat, i overheard a conversation between two ppl sitting next to me. "Biberach is everywhere!", the guy exclaimed. And the woman assured with a laugh: "O yes!"
You must know that Biberach is the town i lived in for the last one and a half years. It was there that I struggled to get my teaching degree. A small-town, with some 30,000 inhabitants, who are extremely proud of themselves, their heritage and especially their annual pompous "Schuetzenfest". Everybody seems to know everyone. At least they all seem to be linked with each other, be it that they are friends or cousins of second degree or.. Well.

Apparently the guy&the woman also just had bumped into each other and were exchanging info with excitement. They were talking about streets that i remembered as well, "Holzmarkt" close to "the" school (which was probably the school i worked in), about "Schuetzen" and other stuff. A weird feeling- sitting there in this anonymous subway in this huge city, knowing of the same things, but them not knowing anything about me :) I was on the verge of starting to sing the notorious song of the annual "Schuetzen"-celebration, which every elementary school kid has to memorize. "Rund um mich her ist alles Freude!.." Everyone knows it by heart in this town. (At least, they should.) I guess they would have stared at me as if i was an alien..
The guy finally got off the subway and i had one more stop to go. By nature i am not the most outgoing person, but i had to speak to this woman, because i thought the whole thing just too bizarre. So i excused myself: "I just overheard, Biberach - an der Riss? I finished my education there as a teacher!" She was totally stunned and said: "No, really? I just met this guy by coincidence on the subway, after I had not seen him for eight years! All of Swabians gathered together here!" "No", I corrected her, "I am not from Swabia! Originally i'm from Hesse." (I just had to tell her ;) but this is another story.) We shortly exchanged some info and then i had to get off. She said, "O that's too bad." She made a real nice impression.
Yes, seemingly this southern life is still lingering in some corners of my present.. However, how thankful i am that i am now here- beginning a new chapter of my life. Sometimes, though, little situations like this make me recall the sweet moments of a rough time back then... Biberach is everywhere. This is maybe one of these "Biberachian"-exaggerations. But, for sure, dear memories and valuable experiences from "Biberachian"-times will be a part of my present for good.

No comments: